en VHT standard 12 – a fat tweed deluxe 5e3 clone

Updated on March 15, 2020 | 869 Views all
7 on January 17, 2020

it’s getting better with some NOS caps and tubes. 50’s Jensen does something of course. VHT standard 12 is a bit bigger than the original tweed deluxe. and I like this cabinet as well. I might try P15N at some point

• Liked by

Be the first to post a comment.

0 on January 17, 2020

came with P12Q very quickly. bigger cab seems to need more speaker power.

I think I love every single trip with P12R, P12Q, and P12N

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 30, 2020

back and forth between P12R and P12Q then came back to P12R again. this cabinet is still new and needs more time than anything

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on February 11, 2020

update with Jensen P12N and Astron cap sleeves 

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on February 23, 2020

this VHT standard 12 didn’t come with a insulation between the circuit board and the aluminum chassis. I made the same mistake with my 18 watt clone 15 years ago. I believe this kind of hand wiring should have the insulation for more than one reason.

I put a USPS box piece under the circuit board while replacing the wires. frankly, the soldering from the factory was a disaster. 

Removed all the tricks from VHT. I like this mods from them. but decided to try the original circuit with this big and heay cabinet. and the sounding turned out very nice and more close to my ’55 5D3 deluxe.

still love P12R and P12N both. they are different but both are like the original voicing of the tweed era.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on March 4, 2020

this pair of Chicago caps are beautiful on the circuit. and I hear they sound like Blue Ajax than Astron Blue Point (yellow mustard). hope to find more Chicago caps for my projects and even for the original tweed amps

and I love 3D bell sound with this 50’s output transformer. it was a luck to have this OT. this looks identical to my 5D3’s transformer. less sharp and more warm than the stock OT.   VHT’s stock OT is still sounds great but I’m going to stick with this one.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on March 15, 2020

replaced the heater wires and came back to 12ay7 on V1

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on March 15, 2020

added a video on youtube

GE 6087 (indirectly heated 5y3)

Bendix 6v6gta

Amperex 12ax7 and GE five star 6072 (12ay7)

’59 P12R

mid 50’s OT

• Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies
  • en 50’s Switchcraft 1/4 black phone plugs

• this switchcraft black plastic plug looks always nice to me. especially with vintage Jensen speakers and tweed amps.

I recently noticed the material and the shape has changed through the years. I’m not sure with the exact timeline but, the first and second left ones look a bit older with the different shape of the end tips.

the first one on the left looks like the oldest brother. it’s the one for my 5D3 with P12Q now.

the next one came with 1953 tweed deluxe 5C3. the rest of them look like came from 60’s or 70’s production. I’m just guessing. I’m wondering when they started to put the nylon spacer not bakelite.

#switchcraft

Load More...
  • en 1962 Fender 5F1 champ

• I met this little guy again this morning. and gave it RCA Command 5751 as a present. I’ve tried more than a few 12ax7 tubes with this Champ for a while. and love the sound with this 5751. and, one 6v6gt from Valvo factory in Frankfurt is coming to me for this Champ.

the 3rf filter cap is Sprague which replaced the big 8uf 500V Astron minimite last winter. it still has the 2 prong power cord even with the death cap. this 57-year-old Champ is beautiful and sounds great of course. but didn’t sing as much as my ’59 Champ till this morning. now it does sing like a magic.

pictures of the transformers are here

https://slowbean.net/thread/gathering-information-on-vintage-tweed-champ-output-transformer/

Load More...
  • en old sprague caps re-stuffing with Philips caps

• old Philips caps from Holland factory and German Roederstien are my favorite for filter caps and cathode bypass caps.

I cut the aluminum cans and put Philips caps inside of 70’s Sprague paper sleeve caps.

Load More...
  • en blog skin design

•  

client want it looks simple and use red,white,black. his blog is about IT  and Gaming

Load More...
  • en 50’s Jensen P12R restoration has begun

• a close friend gave me his NOS or like new silver p12r speaker for my tweed deluxe 5d3 a few months ago. then I got me a P12N which I like for the last 15 years. 

but, I couldn’t help myself to search the original p12r with the bell. I mean p12r from the same era with the same color.

I dropped by his place a couple of days ago. he showed me this p12r pulled out of his 5C3 a while ago. it was the present for me and my 5d3. I ordered a speaker cone looked like the original even before I knew he had this. and I like the black switchcraft 1/4 plug which I’ve been after. 

Load More...
  • en Multifandom | Can’t Hold Us

• THE GIRL THAT SAY “HELLO” AT 00:03 IS FROM “GOTHAM” ● HD IS BETTER ; That remix is fuck I needed to edit it, sorry the black border more gave a charm -q ‘ Im…
    Load More...
  • en tweed princeton 5D2 came back to life

• I came across this tweed princeton a couple of days ago. it had more than few issues with the pots, electrolytic caps, wires, grounding, input jacks and one of the resistors.

and it sounds beautiful like a win instrument with the new components.

Load More...
  • en Horus artwork by Jared Krichevsky

• Concept artist and creature designer Jared Krichevsky has posted some of the character designs he created for Gods of Egypt, while working with The Aaron Sims Company. Jared is also an instructor at Gnomon School of Visual Effects teaching Introduction to ZBrush and Creature Modeling and Sculpting. Link: jaredkrichevsky.blogspot.com All images © Summit Entertainment.

Load More...
  • en How to spot Siemens, Tyco V23084-C2001-A303 relay and the counterfeit

• I have emailed to dozens of electric part suppliers and messaged to ebay sellers for

V23084-C2001-A303 to fix my E46 GM5 module.

and I noticed most of them are counterfeit. this seller looked legit with the picture of NOS Siemens relay. but it didn’t go well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Tyco-Relay-V23084-C2001-A303-GM5-BMW-E46-X3-E39-E38-Grundmodul-Siemens/122754020496

and it’s the the relays I got from this seller

The original Siemens, Tyco, TE connectivity relays have molded bottom with thick and strong lead pins. and, you can buy this counterfeit relay on alibaba.com or aliexpress.com for less $1 each

I’m talking to these two sellers for the original part. and one of them are running this web site

http://www.bmwgm5.com

I do trust this guy and made a purchase from his ebay store

https://www.ebay.com/usr/bmwgm5?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

also this seller has the original relay. but it’s V23084-C2002-A403

the only difference between A303 and A403 is the contact material. and C2002 is sensitive type works with less current as far as I know. I’ll try them both and will update

another seller sent me this picture. and it’s exactly the relay I’m after. you can see the pattern on the bottom but even many of the counterfeit have the patterns as well. but please see the pins carefully all the soldering pins are thick and look strong enough.

I’m ordering a pair from this seller who sent me the picture

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183304411194

it took a couple of months to figure out which is the original and finally found these 2 sellers which I trust on ebay.

I’ll update when they arrive

and please someone advice me if V23084-C2001-A303 can be replaced with

V23084-C2002-A403, or V23084-C2001-A403

undefined

Load More...
  • en Pickguard on Joe Bonamassa signature Burst

• I believe Gibson and Wildwood put the same black plastic parts from his Custom Shop Goldtop Les Paul. while the plastic parts made after his original. the pickguard is different to all the Gibson’s like pre 2009 historic, post 2009 historic, and Gibson US version.

and, finally found the right one from Creamtone. they sent me their Absolute Vintage pickguard template. and every single detail is same except for the gap they made after the original 50’s pickguard.

I’ll update after we try this from Creamtone later

Load More...