Pignose 7-100 from 70’s with Germanium transistors

Updated on August 8, 2020 | 11892 Views No Category
14 on February 12, 2019

Grabbed this Pignose 7-100 off reverb.com recently. the seller believed it didn’t work while I believed I could fix it. the price was really good for the reason.

It was a luck. this little thing works fine without any issue. I see 4 Germanium transistors on the circuit board and expected a different sound than the current product. but it sounds pretty much close to the new ones.

According to the schematic I got  from https://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8790 , it has 4 transistors. 

Two of the germanium transistors (in the black housings) are sitting around the black hood which covers transformers. they seem to be 2SB324H. and I barely see 2SB172A and 2SB175B on the circuit board.

• Liked by
  • CongaFish

Be the first to post a comment.

Add a comment

13 on April 29, 2019

Great Reverb score! I’ve been repairing some Pignoses lately and really enjoy playing them with a little delay pedal. I’ve got a ’72 model with the germanium transistors and would really like to see the actual placement order on the board…for the red, yellow, blue leads of the 2B324’s. I assume that they’re somewhat “switched” (in order) on either side of the black “heatsink”?

Attached pic shows how mine are now.

on April 29, 2019

unfortunately, I’ve sold mine to  buy some vintage capacitors months ago. I put it back on Reverb.com and a german guy took it off. I’m not sure if he’d reply back but I’ll ask him to take some pictures of the leads

on April 29, 2019

a friend loves to play 2 of pignose amps through an ab box. i don’t know how they are old but i can tell they sound really good. i was about to get me an ab box then just realized i could do that with a delay pedal. 

on April 29, 2019

@dragonash: kinda fun to “dasiy chain” two together, using one as a preamp, out into a 2nd one. But yes, they’re certainly much better-sounding with a simple delay pedal. Haven’t tried the A-B route… yet.

@59burst: Thanks. Think I figured the sequence out. (Emitter-Base-Collector / left to right? May try C-B-E?) Very low volume and hiss/hum/crackle before… but now mostly just low volume. Previously, 1 transistor & the 1Ω resistor were getting smokin’ hot. Now, no more high temps… but still no volume increase. The saga continues.

*Replaced the 2 (A&B in pic) germanium transistors & the resistor “C”.

on April 30, 2019

sounds like a challenge to me. I still barely understand the electric circuit. I’ve read about vintage germanium transistors which can be used for NPN and PNP both, probably on a fuzz forum.

the only experience with germanium transistors was this project, btw

https://slowbean.net/search-threads/oc139

on April 30, 2019
I still barely understand the electric circuit.From 59burst

Same here, but I’m learning. Thanks for the link. I’ve a few other early solid-state amps that I’m working on, so I can take “breaks” from the Pignose when frustrated / stymied.

on May 1, 2019

didn’t see that huge one on the right side till now. actually most of them except for the karate kid’s pignose. 

on May 19, 2019

@congafish the reverb.com buyer has replied. unfortunately, he didn’t like the sound of germanium and sold his pignose already

on July 12, 2020

@congafish, i just acquired one of these old pignose’s.  Not sure of the year yet but the pcb looks just like yours so I’m assuming 70’s.  I was given the amp by a friend and its in need of some repairs  it hasn’t worked in years.  One problem that stands out right out the gate is a burned up capacitor. Im hoping one of you guys with some knowledge of these amps can help me identify it.  Im not familiar with some of the labeling I’m seeing on the schematic posted above. It’s the brown colored larger ceramic looking cap located right next to one of the 2SB324H’s. I think its labeled “1E” on the above schematic. I could be wrong. I’ve never seen this type of labeling on a schematic. I’m hoping you guys could help provide some insight on this and help me identify this cap. any help would be greatly appreciated..

on July 13, 2020

Hey @dlazzarini,

You talkin’ about the brown resistor labeled “C” in my photo above? That’s a 1Ω (Ohm) resistor. What does yours look like (pic?) is it “blown” apart / fractured, etcetera? Of course I was told that this is normally the go-to culprit to be replaced… as the leading cause of failure in these early Pignoses… but I have not been so lucky with the two ’73-’74 germanium-based Pignose amps here. Hopefully your luck will be better after only replacing that resistor and it’ll spring back to life. Hope so.

on July 13, 2020

Hey @CongaFish thanks for replying. So that’s a resistor huh? Sure had me fooled. I thought it was one of those old film caps. It looks just like the one in your pic with the “C” on it. Would you happen to know the wattage on that resistor?  Something made it pop. What I suspect happened is somebody hooked up two 9v batteries to the 9v snaps that connect to the AA battery boxes. They were corroded out and I suspect they hooked up 9 volt batteries and gave it a dose of 18v. 

on July 14, 2020

Dunno… but with the “touted” 5 Watts output rating ( an over-estimate for certain I’ve heard )… maybe order a 1Ω resistor with a 5 Watt rating (or 1, 2 or 3 Watts). They’re inexpensive and you could test a few different ones. As far as the 18 Volt damage theory goes… rumors have it that Frank Zappa ran his original Pignose  with 18 Volts… and I have done the same on others here with no resultant damage.

Here’s a pic of a 25% larger “Big Pig” that I made, housed in a pine cab with a Jensen MOD 6/15 speaker. It’s basically a Pignose 7-100 upsized into a bigger cab with a bigger speaker and it sounds real “party” @9 Volts – until zapped with 12 or 18 Volts. After hearing a Dwarf amp and comparing it to a Pignose, I thought that maybe if the Pignose had a better cabinet & speaker it could better compete with the Dwarf quality. Nope. *I intend to build one at the exact same internal size as a Pignose with an original speaker to see how that might just compare… but I don’t hold much hope for that either.

The Dwarf amp also pictured (oak / wood stained near-black) with a faceplate of my own making. If everyone knew about the Dwarf amps (made only for two years in direct competition with the Pignose in 1974) there would be a lot more of them in the world. They put the Pignose to shame. (7 Watts!) AND porting the Dwarf out to closed-back extension cab with a 10” or 12” speaker… yields great tones and volume. Alas, the poor Pignose can’t do this anywhere nearly as well (and I have added “speaker out” jacks to several Pignose amps here).

AND if you really want to deep-dive into the early portables, there’s also the (now also very rare) Pygmy amp to consider. Offered as a build-kit from the PAiA company (also initially offered back around 1974) they were $39.95! AND still better than the lowly Pignose 7-100 IMHO.

Best thing about any Pignose?

The “Legendary” marketing.

(Best of luck with your Pig.)

on July 14, 2020

*”Party” was corrected above – probably due to language.

on August 8, 2020

Hey CongaFish you wouldn’t happen to know how to date these 7-100’s would you?  All of my google searches are coming up pretty inconclusive. It’s got a low 4 digit serial number 3384. I can’t seem to find anything conclusive. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies
  • ko Call It Anything

• Miles Davis – trumpet Gary Bartz – saxophones Chick Corea – electric piano Keith Jarrett – electric piano Dave Holland – bass Jack DeJohnette – drums Airto M…

이게 60만명.

그리고 60만명 모아두고 공연하려면 이 정도 라인업은 되야..

허세와 거짓말들, 그리고 좋다고 눈가리고 귀막고 침 질질 흘리는 것들, 지긋지긋하다.

Load More...
  • en R?Is What? album cover design for yoffy

•  

i designed those two works for yoffy who work really hard on music

here is his soundcloud profile link

https://soundcloud.com/user-184228744

Load More...
  • ko Inside of JMI Tone Bender III reissue

• 몇주 전에 소리를 들어보고는 마음에 들어서 빌려왔습니다. 가지고 놀면서 찾아보니 BPC 에서 만든 것도 보이던데, 이건 JMI 입니다. 60년대 톤벤던 III는 Sola Sound가 만들어서 Vox 상표로 팔린 것 같습니다. 같은 이름과 회로, 비슷한 것들이 엄청나게 많다는 정도만 알고 있습니다.

퍼즈는 이것저것 주위에서 쓰니까 접할 기회가 많습니다. 게르마늄 퍼즈도 기타처럼 같은 모델이라고 해도 하나하나 다 다르게 느껴집니다.

리이슈라서 요즘 PCB입니다. 풋스위치 배선을 보니 트루바이패스네요. 예전 영국산 페달들은 Arrow & Hart 풋스위치를 썼는데, 요즘은 대부분 미국회사인 Carling 스위치를 쓰네요. 어짜피 둘다 이제는 멕시코에서 만드니 품질은 같을겁니다.

멀라드 OC75 세개가 들어있습니다. 이 퍼즈 소리가 마음에 들어서 비슷하게 개조하려고 Bum Fuzz를 구했습니다. 세세하게는 다르지만 전체적으로는 비슷합니다. Bum Fuzz는 B&M fuzz의 복각이고 Jumbo Tone Bender 회로라서 그냥 대충 봐도 저항과 캐퍼시터가 두배쯤 더 많고, 얘는 상대적으로 단순합니다.

OC75는 유리관에 들어있는 게르마늄트랜지스터로 0.125W 저출력입니다. 60년대 게르마늄 트랜지스터는 용도에 따라 동작주파수가 다른데 얘는 0.1MHz로 동작합니다. 이 정도면 원래 오디오 신호용이 맞는 것 같습니다.

Youtube에서 샘플을 하나 찾았습니다.

Load More...
  • ko NOS, 혹은 길들지 않은 50, 60년대 Jensen 스피커들

• 살아남은 스피커들 공통점도 있고 아주 다른 것도 있습니다.

처음 연결했을 때 소리가 여러가지 모양으로 이상한 애들이 있구요.

작은 볼륨에서도 찰랑거리는 고음이 있고, 나머지 대역도 거기 어울리기도 합니다.

그런데 문제가 있는 것을 손보고, 몇주를 쓰고 나면 같은 일이 벌어집니다. 어떤 애들은 그게 며칠만에 일어납니다.

아주 작은 볼륨에서 좋습니다. 말로 어떻게 좋은지 얘기하기에는 여러 모양이 있습니다.

다양한 기간, 순서로 어떤 대역이 하나씩 살아납니다. 같은 시기의 같은 모델도 두개를 구하면 그게 다릅니다.

저는 Jensen이 참 좋습니다.

Load More...
  • ko Stella doll handmade, 두 딸 키우며 틈틈이, 손바느질

•  

어린 두 딸을 어린이집에 보내지 않고 집에서 키운다.

아파트에 사는 것도 갑갑해 경기도쪽에 주택으로 떠날 계획이다.

그러는 틈틈이 예전에 하던 바느질을 하는 즐거움은 두 딸을 키우는 것과는 또 다른 나만의 세계이자, 행복이다.

3,4살 두 딸 돌보는 틈틈이 원단을 고르고, 실을 골라  한 땀 한 땀 가다보면

커텐이 되거나 에코백이 되거나 삼베가방이 된다.

Load More...
  • ko 기억에 남는 ebay 진공관 판매자들

• 우연히 두번 거래한 사람도 있고, 문제가 있었는데 잘 해결해준 판매자도 몇 있었구요.

I’ve been an audiophile for over 50 years… I wanted to create an eBay Store that catered to Audiophile Tubes… We will carry all types of tubes but we specialize in high-end Preamp & Power Tubes… All our tubes are extensively tested for GM, Leakage, Shorts and Noise… Everything we sell is 100% Guarantee unless noted otherwise…

이 판매자에게서 GE 6v6gt 세트를 구했습니다. 파는 가격도 적당하고, 수치도 박스에 적어줘서 좋았습니다. NOS인지 그냥 수치가 좋은건지 판매 페이지에 잘 표시해주구요.

Tube, Tubes, Valve, Valves, 12AX7, 12AU7, 6L6, capacitors, electrolytic capacitor, electrolytic capacitors, 6V6GB, 6SN7GA, 6SN7GB

캐다나 판매자입니다. 그냥 평범한 가격도 있고, 미친 판매자들이 이상한 가격에 올린 진공관을 현실적인 가격에 올려주기도 합니다. 거래 전에 얘기를 천천히 얘기하고 거래했습니다. 제가 산 관은 한국으로 오는 중인데 지금까지의 과정이 좋았습니다.

실바니아 EL84를 사면서 GE 상표의 멀라드 6681을 15불에 흥정해서 샀습니다. EL84도 하나 가격에 한쌍을 샀고 올려진 다른 관을 봐도 수치에 비해서 가격이 아주 좋습니다.

Each Tube Is Concentrated Science Under Glass.

필립스 산하의 유럽관을 저렴하게 판매합니다. 브뤼셀 공장의 6v6는 희소성과 소문 때문에 가격이 천차만별인데 암페렉스를 만드는 홀란드 공장에서 만들어진 가격에 구했습니다. 얘기도 나눠보고 주문한 이후에 올려진 다른 관으로 바꿀 수 있는지 물어서 그렇게 하기도 했구요. 미국관의 가격도 좋습니다. 하나를 사던 여러개를 사던 한국까지 운송비가 15불 정도인데 일주일 만에 왔습니다.

홀란드산 6v6를 구매했습니다. 실버마이카, 알렌 브래들리 저항 등등 부품이 많습니다. 가격이 좋고 흔한데 유명하다고 비싸게 올린 물건도 없는 편입니다.

Please visit Westwood Electronics: Where the Customer is King. We offer a variety of NOS (new) and used vintage components, including vacuum tubes, transformers, bakelite knobs, vintage capacitors and transformers. We serving the needs of Audio/Radio enthusiasts, Musicians, Ham Operators and Electronic Designers world wide. In business for over 15 years, providing fast friendly service. We look forward to your continued support.

사고 보니 전에 거래한 적이 있더라구요. 상태와 가격이 현실적이었고, 제가 받은 관이 몇주 후에 고장났는데 대체품을 보내줬습니다. 저한테 원하는거 있는지 물어보고 거기에 맞는거 제시해서 제가 골라서 받았는데 그 과정과 처리속도 모두 좋았습니다.

At Shining Light, We Focus on being a Progressive Seller with a Focus on Quality Service. We focus in Two Areas for Offering at Shining Light Audio. 1) Vintage HiFi Equipment > Tubes, Stereo Equipment 2) Pinewood Derby Supplies from Shining Light Tribology (SLT): Former Professional Pinewood Derby Racer

흔하지만 좋은 60년대 NOS 프리관 두개를 24불씩에 구한 적이 있습니다. 두가지 평균 시세 반값이었습니다. 상태도 당연히 판매 페이지에서 말한대로였구요.

쓰다보니 캐퍼시터도 한번 이상 거래한 사람들도 올려볼 생각이 드네요.

Load More...
  • de Der 6-Punkte-Plan für das eigene Wohlbefinden.

• Kennt ihr das: Der Trubel des Alltags, die Pflichten und die To-do’s? Wir sind ständig in Bewegung. Hier muss eine Nachricht gelesen und da ein Facebook-Status gepostet werden. Wir verpassen es zusehends einen Moment wirklich zu erleben, weil wir viel zu sehr damit beschäftigt sind, immer online, immer aktuell, immer und überall einfach nur up-to-date zu sein. Dabei verlieren wir uns jedoch selbst aus den Augen.

Der folgende 6-Punkte-Plan behauptet nicht von sich eine Allgemeingültigkeit zu besitzen, noch ist er belegt oder in einer chronologischen Reihenfolge zu beachten – vielmehr ist er eine persönliche Annäherung an das Thema. Für eine Umwelt, die stärker denn je auf Beschleunigung setzt und uns dazu verführt, kaum noch in uns hinein zu hören.

Punkt 1: Nehmt eine Auszeit für euch

Um ungestört in sich hineinzuhören oder die Gedanken loszulassen, könnt ihr zum Beispiel meditieren. Forscher der University of Essex haben zudem bei einer Studie herausgefunden, dass Naturerfahrungen positive Einflüsse auf die Stimmung und auf den Selbstwert des Menschen haben. Demnach sollten sich gehetzte Menschen in einer unruhigen Umwelt regelmäßig Auszeiten in der Natur nehmen. Besonders Gewässer wie Seen, Flüsse und das Meer haben hier eine reinigende Wirkung auf Seele und Geist. Aber auch Wälder, in denen sich die Zeit der Welt in dem Blättergeraschel verfängt, tun der Psyche gut. Doch zu welchem Ort auch immer es euch treibt – die Aufgabe ist es, alleine dorthin zu reisen. Sei es in den Park, in ein weit entferntes Land, an einen einsamen Strand, hoch hinauf in die Berge oder mit dem Zelt raus aufs Land. Schon Konfuzius hat gesagt: Wo auch immer du hingehst, da bist du.

Punkt 2: Geht raus aus eurer Wohlfühlzone

Ihr tut Dinge, bei denen ihr euch total wohlfühlt? Euer Alltag ist bequem, angepasst, der Routine-Rhythmus läuft im Autopilot. Aber trotzdem fehlt euch etwas und das Herz springt euch nicht aufgeregt genug. Dann ist es Zeit, eure Wohlfühlzone zu verlassen. Doch wie fängt man das an? Ihr könnt euch zum Beispiel genau aufschreiben, was ihr tun wollt. Stellt euch dann ein Zeitfenster, wann ihr das erreichen wollt und überlegt euch dazu eine Belohnung. Nichts motiviert so stark wie eine Belohnung. Weiht andere in euer Vorhaben ein und macht euch ans Werk. Da ihr es nicht nur für euch macht, erhaltet ihr zusätzlichen Anreiz. Aber wenn ihr euch größere Vorhaben gesetzt habt, geht es Schritt für Schritt an und zerlegt etwas Größeres in Teilabschnitte (niemand sollte ohne Übung beispielsweise gleich einen Marathon wagen).

Punkt 3: Bleibt bei euch selbst

Menschen neigen dazu, sich zu vergleichen. Manchmal passiert das ganz automatisch und vollkommen ohne böse Absicht, es ist beinahe ein Reflex, der sich überraschend bemerkbar macht. Doch das hilft euch nicht. Wenn euch das nächste Mal dieser Vergleichsgedanke kommt, drückt innerlich die Stopp-Taste. Denkt darüber nach, warum ihr euch vergleicht. Seid dankbar dafür, was ihr habt, schreibt es auf und konzentriert euch auf eure eigenen Stärken.

Punkt 4: Stellt euch Fragen

Wenn wir jemanden kennenlernen, stellen wir Fragen. Zuerst ist jede Bekanntschaft wie ein weißes Blatt Papier, das mit jeder Information, mit jeder Geschichte vollgeschrieben wird. So ist es auch mit euch selbst. Warum sollten wir uns nicht selbst befragen und Antworten finden? Das kann bei ganz simplen Dingen anfangen, z. B. wie man seine Frühstückseier am liebsten mag und aus welchem Grund. Bis zu der Frage, ob man ans Schicksal oder an Gott glaubt und aus welchem Grund. Stellt eine Liste an Fragen auf und führt einen Dialog mit euch selbst.

Punkt 5: Findet heraus, was ihr nicht wollt

So verhält es sich auch mit den Dingen, die ihr nicht wollt. Ergänzt einfach mal den folgenden Satz und die Frage mit euren Antworten.

Ich mag das nicht:

Weil:

Ein Beispiel:

Ich mag das nicht: Ständig aufs Smartphone gucken, während man sich mit einem Menschen trifft.

Weil: Man mit der Aufmerksamkeit ganz bei diesem Menschen sein sollte.

Mit so einer einfachen Übung findet man ganz einfach heraus, was man möchte und kann im Alltag darauf achten, es auch umzusetzen.

Punkt 6: Trefft Entscheidungen

Wenn man eine Geschichte schreibt (das lernt jeder angehende Autor in der ersten Stunde kreatives Schreiben), muss man Entscheidungen treffen. Ohne Entscheidung keine Geschichte. Manchmal gefallen wir uns allerdings im Status quo und hoffen, die Zeit allein erledigt die Entscheidung. Ein: “Ich tue das jetzt!” kann allerdings ganz bewusst getroffen eine Wirkung haben. Ähnlich verhält es sich mit einem Eindeutigen: “Nein, das mache ich jetzt nicht!” Ob eine Entscheidung für oder gegen etwas ist, sie ändert immer den Verlauf der Geschichte – eurer Geschichte. Und wenn ihr das Leben nicht als „Weiterkommen“ oder als statischen Zustand seht, den es zu erreichen gilt, sondern als Reise innerhalb eurer Geschichte, gewinnt es eine ganz neue Farbe.

#Stress #Alltag #Erholung #Leben #Achtsamkeit

Load More...
  • ko VHT 6v6 to el84 아답터

• Yellow Jackets 제품은 바이어스 맞추도록 종류도 많고 안에 회로도 있는데 이건 그냥 핀만 컨버전해주는거랍니다. 6v6하고 el84는 플레이트 볼티지가 비슷해서 그냥 써도 되겠거니 했는데 아직 별 문제는 안보이구요.

트위드 딜럭스에서 몇시간 써보고 챔프에서 또 가지고 놀고 있습니다. 6v6를 빼고 이걸 끼우면 순간 EL84 소리가 확 납니다. 그런데 막상 가지고 놀다보면 여전히 딜럭스는 딜럭스같고 챔프는 챔프같습니다. 바이어스 조정을 하지 않은 이유도 있을테구요. 그래도 피킹을 세게 하면 EL84 브레이크업 사운드가 나옵니다. 음악을 틀어도 드라이브 질감이나 음색이 꽤 다릅니다.

클린 성향의 펜더앰프에 EL84 재미는 기대 이상이네요.

Load More...
  • en Fender Tweed Deluxe 5A3 pics

• brought this back to life for a friend. someone, probably more than one person seemed to try it before. but it sounded dull when it came to me.

Load More...
  • en Yokomo CVD bones

• This post would be a help. but it seems impossible to get them unless you guys push MIP to make them again.

Yokomo YZ10, Works, and 870C universal drives info

it’s the basic info for Yokomo CVD bones
    ’94 YZ10 front CVD bone 84mm
    ’94 YZ10 rear CVD bone 79mm
    MX4 rear CVD bone 79mm

Kysho RB5/RB6 70mm CVD bones work for 870C F/R

MX4 rear bone works with ’94 YZ10 rear. and, Works F/R
    ’94 YZ10 rear bone works with Works F/R. and, for 870C front wide setup
    Bj4 front bone doesn’t work for Yokomo diff cups

’94 YZ10 front

from the top, MX4 Rear / ’94 YZ10 Rear / Jconcpets BJ4 front.

the length are identical to each other. but the head pins are not. I’ve tried more CVD bones from AE and Losi. and all the US brand CVD bones have bigger head pins which don’t fit Yokomo diff cups

While the length is identical, Bj4 CVD bone don’t work for Yokomo diff cups

’94 yz10 cvd bones go deep inside of the diff

MX4 bones have longer head pins. it’s fine except for 870C

870C front wide setup with ’94 YZ10 CVD

Load More...