Pignose 7-100 from 70’s with Germanium transistors

Updated on August 8, 2020 | 8141 Views No Category
14 on February 12, 2019

Grabbed this Pignose 7-100 off reverb.com recently. the seller believed it didn’t work while I believed I could fix it. the price was really good for the reason.

It was a luck. this little thing works fine without any issue. I see 4 Germanium transistors on the circuit board and expected a different sound than the current product. but it sounds pretty much close to the new ones.

According to the schematic I got  from https://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8790 , it has 4 transistors. 

Two of the germanium transistors (in the black housings) are sitting around the black hood which covers transformers. they seem to be 2SB324H. and I barely see 2SB172A and 2SB175B on the circuit board.

• Liked by
  • CongaFish

Be the first to post a comment.

Add a comment

13 on April 29, 2019

Great Reverb score! I’ve been repairing some Pignoses lately and really enjoy playing them with a little delay pedal. I’ve got a ’72 model with the germanium transistors and would really like to see the actual placement order on the board…for the red, yellow, blue leads of the 2B324’s. I assume that they’re somewhat “switched” (in order) on either side of the black “heatsink”?

Attached pic shows how mine are now.

on April 29, 2019

unfortunately, I’ve sold mine to  buy some vintage capacitors months ago. I put it back on Reverb.com and a german guy took it off. I’m not sure if he’d reply back but I’ll ask him to take some pictures of the leads

on April 29, 2019

a friend loves to play 2 of pignose amps through an ab box. i don’t know how they are old but i can tell they sound really good. i was about to get me an ab box then just realized i could do that with a delay pedal. 

on April 29, 2019

@dragonash: kinda fun to “dasiy chain” two together, using one as a preamp, out into a 2nd one. But yes, they’re certainly much better-sounding with a simple delay pedal. Haven’t tried the A-B route… yet.

@59burst: Thanks. Think I figured the sequence out. (Emitter-Base-Collector / left to right? May try C-B-E?) Very low volume and hiss/hum/crackle before… but now mostly just low volume. Previously, 1 transistor & the 1Ω resistor were getting smokin’ hot. Now, no more high temps… but still no volume increase. The saga continues.

*Replaced the 2 (A&B in pic) germanium transistors & the resistor “C”.

on April 30, 2019

sounds like a challenge to me. I still barely understand the electric circuit. I’ve read about vintage germanium transistors which can be used for NPN and PNP both, probably on a fuzz forum.

the only experience with germanium transistors was this project, btw

https://slowbean.net/search-threads/oc139

on April 30, 2019
I still barely understand the electric circuit.From 59burst

Same here, but I’m learning. Thanks for the link. I’ve a few other early solid-state amps that I’m working on, so I can take “breaks” from the Pignose when frustrated / stymied.

on May 1, 2019

didn’t see that huge one on the right side till now. actually most of them except for the karate kid’s pignose. 

on May 19, 2019

@congafish the reverb.com buyer has replied. unfortunately, he didn’t like the sound of germanium and sold his pignose already

on July 12, 2020

@congafish, i just acquired one of these old pignose’s.  Not sure of the year yet but the pcb looks just like yours so I’m assuming 70’s.  I was given the amp by a friend and its in need of some repairs  it hasn’t worked in years.  One problem that stands out right out the gate is a burned up capacitor. Im hoping one of you guys with some knowledge of these amps can help me identify it.  Im not familiar with some of the labeling I’m seeing on the schematic posted above. It’s the brown colored larger ceramic looking cap located right next to one of the 2SB324H’s. I think its labeled “1E” on the above schematic. I could be wrong. I’ve never seen this type of labeling on a schematic. I’m hoping you guys could help provide some insight on this and help me identify this cap. any help would be greatly appreciated..

on July 13, 2020

Hey @dlazzarini,

You talkin’ about the brown resistor labeled “C” in my photo above? That’s a 1Ω (Ohm) resistor. What does yours look like (pic?) is it “blown” apart / fractured, etcetera? Of course I was told that this is normally the go-to culprit to be replaced… as the leading cause of failure in these early Pignoses… but I have not been so lucky with the two ’73-’74 germanium-based Pignose amps here. Hopefully your luck will be better after only replacing that resistor and it’ll spring back to life. Hope so.

on July 13, 2020

Hey @CongaFish thanks for replying. So that’s a resistor huh? Sure had me fooled. I thought it was one of those old film caps. It looks just like the one in your pic with the “C” on it. Would you happen to know the wattage on that resistor?  Something made it pop. What I suspect happened is somebody hooked up two 9v batteries to the 9v snaps that connect to the AA battery boxes. They were corroded out and I suspect they hooked up 9 volt batteries and gave it a dose of 18v. 

on July 14, 2020

Dunno… but with the “touted” 5 Watts output rating ( an over-estimate for certain I’ve heard )… maybe order a 1Ω resistor with a 5 Watt rating (or 1, 2 or 3 Watts). They’re inexpensive and you could test a few different ones. As far as the 18 Volt damage theory goes… rumors have it that Frank Zappa ran his original Pignose  with 18 Volts… and I have done the same on others here with no resultant damage.

Here’s a pic of a 25% larger “Big Pig” that I made, housed in a pine cab with a Jensen MOD 6/15 speaker. It’s basically a Pignose 7-100 upsized into a bigger cab with a bigger speaker and it sounds real “party” @9 Volts – until zapped with 12 or 18 Volts. After hearing a Dwarf amp and comparing it to a Pignose, I thought that maybe if the Pignose had a better cabinet & speaker it could better compete with the Dwarf quality. Nope. *I intend to build one at the exact same internal size as a Pignose with an original speaker to see how that might just compare… but I don’t hold much hope for that either.

The Dwarf amp also pictured (oak / wood stained near-black) with a faceplate of my own making. If everyone knew about the Dwarf amps (made only for two years in direct competition with the Pignose in 1974) there would be a lot more of them in the world. They put the Pignose to shame. (7 Watts!) AND porting the Dwarf out to closed-back extension cab with a 10” or 12” speaker… yields great tones and volume. Alas, the poor Pignose can’t do this anywhere nearly as well (and I have added “speaker out” jacks to several Pignose amps here).

AND if you really want to deep-dive into the early portables, there’s also the (now also very rare) Pygmy amp to consider. Offered as a build-kit from the PAiA company (also initially offered back around 1974) they were $39.95! AND still better than the lowly Pignose 7-100 IMHO.

Best thing about any Pignose?

The “Legendary” marketing.

(Best of luck with your Pig.)

on July 14, 2020

*”Party” was corrected above – probably due to language.

on August 8, 2020

Hey CongaFish you wouldn’t happen to know how to date these 7-100’s would you?  All of my google searches are coming up pretty inconclusive. It’s got a low 4 digit serial number 3384. I can’t seem to find anything conclusive. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies
  • ko 좋은 포텐셔미터 Tocos Cosmos, 그리고 NOS 캐쏘드 바이패스 캡

• 5E3 복각앰프와 50년대 중반의 트위드 프린스톤을 손보면서 집에 있는 1메가 포텐셔미터들을 찾아봤습니다. 찾기는 했는데 제가 생각하는 수명인 50년에서 70년을 쓸만한 제품이 없더라구요. 그건 요즘 나오는 CTS 팟들도 마찬가지구요.

오랫만에 광도상가에 갔습니다. 예전에 대만산 Alpha 팟을 잘 쓴 기억이 있었습니다. 2000년대 초반 CTS 팟보다 품질이 좋았던 기억에 찾아보니 요즘 나오는 제품은 그냥 봐도 완성도가 떨어지더라구요.

대신 이걸 발견해서 앰프 두대의 팟을 교체했습니다. 돌리는 질감, 그리고 투명도가 정말 좋습니다. 개당 3500원이었는데 가격과 품질 모두 최고입니다. 제조회사는 Tokyo Cosmos 입니다. 그 산하에 Tocos가 있는 것 같습니다. 단점이 하나 있는데 섀시와 절연되어 있습니다. 그래서 팟 몸통과 섀시에 별도의 그라운드 작업이 필요합니다. 대신 예전 일본산 팟들 특유의 차가운 소리는 없습니다.

A타입이 없어서 B타입을 사용했는데 오히려 낮은 볼륨을 쓰기 편해서 좋구요.

빈티지 트위드나 트위드 회로는 참 좋습니다. 그런데 특유의 나무 실로폰 소리, 하프 소리가 제대로 나오려면 몇가지 중요한 것이 있습니다.

우선 프리부 V1 캐쏘드 바이패스 커패시터입니다. 우선 제 경험으로 최근 나오는 스프라그는 25uf 25v를 그대로 맞추어도 전혀 소리가 달랐습니다. 며칠, 혹은 몇주가 지나도 마찬가지였구요. 펜더 앰프에서 첫번째 그러니까 맨 오른쪽에 달려있는 전해콘덴서는 25uf 25v 입니다. 50년대에는 Astron Minimite, 그리고 60년대에는 Mallory 제품이 들어갔습니다. 이 둘을 서로 바꾸어서 장착해보기도 했는데 보이싱은 같습니다. 그리고 이 V1 캐쏘드 바이패스 커패시터는 죽는 경우가 거의 없습니다. 대신 화이트노이즈가 유난히 많거나 간헐적으로 들리는 문제가 있습니다.

V1 캐쏘드 바이패스 커패시터를 교체할 경우에 제가 찾은 제일 좋은 대안은 구형 필립스 22uf 25v, 그리고 Roederstein 22uf 25v 두가지입니다. 이론적으로 25uf가 넘으면 주파수 필터가 거의 없어서 50uf를 넣어도 소리 차이가 별로 없어야 합니다. 그런데 실제로는 그렇지 않습니다.

오리지날 Astron, Mallory 25uf 25v는 크기도 특성도 같습니다. 얘들과 같지는 않지만 트위드 앰프, 그리고 블랙페이스 앰프의 톤은 파란색 필립스 22uf 25v, 금색 로더스타인 22uf 25v에서 제일 잘 나왔습니다. 유명하다는 말로리 탄탈 커패시터도 사용해봤지만 특성이 너무나도 달랐구요.

V1과 파워부 캐쏘드 바이패스 사이는 뭘 써도 다 괜찮았습니다. 내압 차이도 거의 구분할 수 없습니다. 그래서 얘들을 모두 다 잘 쓰고 있습니다. 빈티지나 복각은 큼직한 소자도 매력이라 작은 애들은 잘 안쓰게 되기는 합니다. 그래서 사진은 생략합니다.

앰프에 따라서 필터캡의 왼쪽이나 바로 오른쪽에 파워부 캐쏘드 바이패스 캡이 있습니다. 트위드, 블랙페이스를 막론하고 여기에 실제로 걸리는 전압은 15v 내외입니다. 그래서 잘 죽지 않을 것 같은데 사계절이 뚜렸한 우리나라에서 쓰다보면 결국 죽더라구요. 공연장에 가지고 다니는게 아니라면 더 오래 쓸 수 있을 것 같기도 하구요. 교체해야 하는 경우에 저는 두가지의 다른 방법을 씁니다.

NOS는 paper sleeve를 벗겨낸 알맹이이고 원래는 당연히 종이캡에 쌓여 있습니다.  오리지날의 트위드, 블랙페이스 톤과 제일 비슷하게 들리는 애들입니다. 위에 금색은 Roederstein 47uf 63v, 22uf 63v, 그리고 그 아래는 Sprague, Mallory 25uf 50v 캡들입니다.

파워부 캐쏘드 바이패스 캡의 용량이 작으면 미드레인지와 베이스가 퍼집니다. 높으면 소리가 단단해집니다. 10uf까지 낮추면 벙벙한 소리가 날것 같지만 오히려 대역이 약간 좁아지면서 맑은 소리가 되더라구요.

아무래도 내구성 때문에 Roederstein을 주로 씁니다. 아래 스프라그와 말로리도 검증된 애들이지만 저한테 로더스타인만큼 믿음을 주지는 못해서요.

여기에 재미있는 사실이 있습니다. 오래도록 소리를 잘 내주고 있는 트위드 앰프의 파워부 캐쏘드 바이패스 캡을 측정해보니 내압이 40uf 이상으로 높아진 애들이 많았습니다. 어떤 애들은 그냥 25uf 전후를 유지하고 있었구요. 40uf 애들은 아무래도 스피커가 캐비넷을 울리는 타격감이 더 좋습니다. 25uf는 트위드 특유의 관악기 보이싱이 더 좋구요. 그런데 그 차이가 작습니다. 그래서 그냥 보드에 장착했을 때 보기 좋은 소자로 고릅니다. 며칠전에 손을 본 트위드 프린스톤 5D2와 5E3 복각은 저 두툼하고 믿음직한 Roederstein Bipolar 타입을 썼습니다. 그리고 제 오리지날 5D3는 Astron 페이퍼 슬리브 안에 47uf 63v를 넣었구요. 

그리고 보니 paper sleeve가 있으면 47uf, 없으면 22uf bipolar를 쓰고 있었네요. 둘 다 ebay에 꾸준히 올라옵니다.

어짜피 같은 모델의 트위드 앰프 몇대를 들어보면 소리가 다 다릅니다. 시기별로 아웃풋 트랜스포머의 1차측 임피던스도 다르고 출력도 제각각입니다. 그래서 같을 수가 없습니다. 소자가 100% 같다고 해도 악기 특성상 지금까지의 변화, 스피커 상태등 변수가 많구요. 파워부 캐쏘드 바이패스 캡은 내압이 높은 애들이 좋았습니다. 말로리 탄탈 47uf 20v을 여기 넣고 며칠이 지나서 길이 들어도 트위드 앰프의 맛하고는 거리가 있었습니다.

아래 47uf 63v Bipolar 타입은 아직 써볼 기회가 없었습니다. 언젠간 쓸 기회가 생기겠네요.

Load More...
  • ko Furman Power Conditioner M-8Lx

• 퍼먼의 파워 컨디셔너를 쓰고 있습니다. 뭐가 크게 다른지는 모르겠습니다. 그라운드 리프트 신경쓰지 않고 그냥 쓴다는 장점이 있습니다.

저 큼직한 Caril 캐퍼시터가 서지 프로텍션용이 아닐까 추측하고 있습니다. 나중헤 하나씩 찾아보려구요.

퍼먼 특유의 불이 들어와서 좋습니다. 전구의 주황색 불은 늘 좋더라구요.

Load More...
  • ko 프로필카드 디자인

• Load More...
  • ko 안동집, 활짝 핀 봄꽃들

•  

할아버지, 할머니네 정원에 봄이 한창이다.

배나무에서는 배 열매를 커가고 있고…

베고니아도 곱게 피어났다.

봄꽃을 이야기할 때 연산홍도 빼놓을 수 없지.

그리고 대망의 분홍빛 장미, 이 장미 묘목이 할아버지의 아버지가 키우던 것이라니 

고운 장미는  최소 30년을 자라고 꽃을 피운셈이다. 

내가 할머니가 돼서 꿈꾸는 것이  정원에 갖가지 장미를 심는 것인데….

향기까지 머금은 이 분홍 장미는 그래서 더욱 탐이 난다.

곧고 길게 자란 가지를 보니, 한 송이 싹독 잘라 내 방에 두고 보고 싶은 충동이 가득하나, 꽃 도둑이 되고 싶진 않아 오가며 열심히 보는 걸로 만족하련다. 

이 독특한 꽃은, 할머니 말대로라면, 시계꽃이란다. 동그란 시계에 초침처럼 

말 그대로 시계모양의 꽃이다. 

이 꽃들을 소개하는 내내 할머니는 안 그래도 웃는 얼굴에 주름이 깊어진다. 

“이거 전부 우리 할아버지가 안 했니껴! 허허허허!”

할머니는 늘 할아버지 자랑으로 끝을 맺는다. 

마음씨도 손재주도 아름다운 노 부부다.   

Load More...
  • en Dear Mr. Fantasy

• Steve Winwood + Eric Clapton

Load More...
  • ko 안동시 길안면, 만휴정 감성치유 프로그램

• 자연감성 치유프로그램 ‘참좋다’ 참가자 모집

PROGRAM

사이코드라마, 생애 잔치, 리틀포레스트 산책, 생애콘서트, 축하와 감사의 춤

▣ 일시 : 2018.9.8() 15~23/ 9.9() 09~13

매월 둘째 주 토일 운영(단체 경우 조정가능)

▣ 장소 : 묵계종택(경상북도 안동시 길안면 충효로 1736-5), 묵계서원, 만휴정

▣ 대상 : 쉼과 치유를 원하는 성인 누구나, 선착순 15

▣ 참가비 : 12만원(13식 제공) / 토요일 9만원, 일요일 4만원

농협 놀몸문화예술배움터 351-0950-2152-13

http://gbculture.org/coding/sub6/sub2.asp?bseq=2&cat=-1&sk=&sv=&page=1&mode=view&aseq=3188#.XN6xrC97Fgo

Load More...
  • ko 안동지역, 웹툰 아카데미 입문과정 스토레텔링

•  

[안동지역]<웹툰아카데미 입문과정> 스토리텔링과정

접수중 로그인 후 참가신청하기

개요

교육대상 : 웹툰 작가를 꿈꾸는 경북도민 누구나 가능

2019웹툰 아카데미 개강

모집인원 : 각 과정별 15명 내외

교육장소 : 경상북도문화콘텐츠진흥원 2층 웹툰 창작체험관 교육실

강사명 : 김양수 작가 (동네변호사 조들호 연재)

문의 : Tel_054-840-7042 (경북문화콘텐츠진흥원 웹툰창작체험관 담당자)

Email_ jin56@gcube.or.kr

수강안내
    접수기간
     2019년 4월 25일 목요일 09:30부터
     2019년 5월 7일 화요일 17:00까지
    교육기간
    2019년 5월 7일 화요일부터 2019년 5월 28일 화요일까지
    (18시30분-21시30분(화요일, 주1회),
    경상북도문화콘텐츠진흥원 2층 웹툰 창작체험관 교육실)

http://gcube.or.kr/home/main.asp

Load More...
  • ko 제일 좋아하는 12ax7 두가지

• 챔프 5F1은 유난히 진공관 성향이 잘 드러납니다. B+ 340v, 360v, 380v, 그리고 복각과 오리지날 모두 420v도 써봤습니다. B+4가 높으면 롱플레이트도 마이크로포닉 확율이 낮아서 좋습니다. B+ 낮은 애들은 질감 표현이 좋지만 롱플레이트의 마이크로포닉이 생기는 빈도가 높구요.

50년대 말의 RCA 블랙 롱플레이트와 Amperex 12ax7 Buggle boy 입니다. RCA는 롱플레이트라서 모든 앰프하고 잘 맞지는 않습니다. 참고로, 텔레풍켄은 롱플레이트지만 한번도 마이크로포닉 경험이 없습니다. 지금 5D3 딜럭스에서 쓰고 있구요.

여하튼 이 두 녀석은 미국관의 출렁이는 불덩어리, 유럽관의 정교함을 즐기게 해 줍니다.

RCA는 블랙플레이트를 꼭 경험해보라고 주위에 종종 얘기합니다. Amperex는 모든 버전이 다 좋지만 처음 접한게 i61 이라서 더 애착이 갑니다. 이 둘은 쉽게 지워지는 인쇄도 저 박스들도 좋아하게 되었습니다.

Load More...
  • en old sprague caps re-stuffing with Philips caps

• old Philips caps from Holland factory and German Roederstien are my favorite for filter caps and cathode bypass caps.

I cut the aluminum cans and put Philips caps inside of 70’s Sprague paper sleeve caps.

Load More...
  • en Crazy Bird – Wild Child