Pignose 7-100 from 70’s with Germanium transistors

Updated 8 hours ago | 5660 Views No Category
14 on February 12, 2019

Grabbed this Pignose 7-100 off reverb.com recently. the seller believed it didn’t work while I believed I could fix it. the price was really good for the reason.

It was a luck. this little thing works fine without any issue. I see 4 Germanium transistors on the circuit board and expected a different sound than the current product. but it sounds pretty much close to the new ones.

According to the schematic I got  from https://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8790 , it has 4 transistors. 

Two of the germanium transistors (in the black housings) are sitting around the black hood which covers transformers. they seem to be 2SB324H. and I barely see 2SB172A and 2SB175B on the circuit board.

• Liked by
  • CongaFish

Be the first to post a comment.

Add a comment

13 on April 29, 2019

Great Reverb score! I’ve been repairing some Pignoses lately and really enjoy playing them with a little delay pedal. I’ve got a ’72 model with the germanium transistors and would really like to see the actual placement order on the board…for the red, yellow, blue leads of the 2B324’s. I assume that they’re somewhat “switched” (in order) on either side of the black “heatsink”?

Attached pic shows how mine are now.

on April 29, 2019

unfortunately, I’ve sold mine to  buy some vintage capacitors months ago. I put it back on Reverb.com and a german guy took it off. I’m not sure if he’d reply back but I’ll ask him to take some pictures of the leads

on April 29, 2019

a friend loves to play 2 of pignose amps through an ab box. i don’t know how they are old but i can tell they sound really good. i was about to get me an ab box then just realized i could do that with a delay pedal. 

on April 29, 2019

@dragonash: kinda fun to “dasiy chain” two together, using one as a preamp, out into a 2nd one. But yes, they’re certainly much better-sounding with a simple delay pedal. Haven’t tried the A-B route… yet.

@59burst: Thanks. Think I figured the sequence out. (Emitter-Base-Collector / left to right? May try C-B-E?) Very low volume and hiss/hum/crackle before… but now mostly just low volume. Previously, 1 transistor & the 1Ω resistor were getting smokin’ hot. Now, no more high temps… but still no volume increase. The saga continues.

*Replaced the 2 (A&B in pic) germanium transistors & the resistor “C”.

on April 30, 2019

sounds like a challenge to me. I still barely understand the electric circuit. I’ve read about vintage germanium transistors which can be used for NPN and PNP both, probably on a fuzz forum.

the only experience with germanium transistors was this project, btw

https://slowbean.net/search-threads/oc139

on April 30, 2019
I still barely understand the electric circuit.From 59burst

Same here, but I’m learning. Thanks for the link. I’ve a few other early solid-state amps that I’m working on, so I can take “breaks” from the Pignose when frustrated / stymied.

on May 1, 2019

didn’t see that huge one on the right side till now. actually most of them except for the karate kid’s pignose. 

on May 19, 2019

@congafish the reverb.com buyer has replied. unfortunately, he didn’t like the sound of germanium and sold his pignose already

on July 12, 2020

@congafish, i just acquired one of these old pignose’s.  Not sure of the year yet but the pcb looks just like yours so I’m assuming 70’s.  I was given the amp by a friend and its in need of some repairs  it hasn’t worked in years.  One problem that stands out right out the gate is a burned up capacitor. Im hoping one of you guys with some knowledge of these amps can help me identify it.  Im not familiar with some of the labeling I’m seeing on the schematic posted above. It’s the brown colored larger ceramic looking cap located right next to one of the 2SB324H’s. I think its labeled “1E” on the above schematic. I could be wrong. I’ve never seen this type of labeling on a schematic. I’m hoping you guys could help provide some insight on this and help me identify this cap. any help would be greatly appreciated..

on July 13, 2020

Hey @dlazzarini,

You talkin’ about the brown resistor labeled “C” in my photo above? That’s a 1Ω (Ohm) resistor. What does yours look like (pic?) is it “blown” apart / fractured, etcetera? Of course I was told that this is normally the go-to culprit to be replaced… as the leading cause of failure in these early Pignoses… but I have not been so lucky with the two ’73-’74 germanium-based Pignose amps here. Hopefully your luck will be better after only replacing that resistor and it’ll spring back to life. Hope so.

on July 13, 2020

Hey @CongaFish thanks for replying. So that’s a resistor huh? Sure had me fooled. I thought it was one of those old film caps. It looks just like the one in your pic with the “C” on it. Would you happen to know the wattage on that resistor?  Something made it pop. What I suspect happened is somebody hooked up two 9v batteries to the 9v snaps that connect to the AA battery boxes. They were corroded out and I suspect they hooked up 9 volt batteries and gave it a dose of 18v. 

on July 14, 2020

Dunno… but with the “touted” 5 Watts output rating ( an over-estimate for certain I’ve heard )… maybe order a 1Ω resistor with a 5 Watt rating (or 1, 2 or 3 Watts). They’re inexpensive and you could test a few different ones. As far as the 18 Volt damage theory goes… rumors have it that Frank Zappa ran his original Pignose  with 18 Volts… and I have done the same on others here with no resultant damage.

Here’s a pic of a 25% larger “Big Pig” that I made, housed in a pine cab with a Jensen MOD 6/15 speaker. It’s basically a Pignose 7-100 upsized into a bigger cab with a bigger speaker and it sounds real “party” @9 Volts – until zapped with 12 or 18 Volts. After hearing a Dwarf amp and comparing it to a Pignose, I thought that maybe if the Pignose had a better cabinet & speaker it could better compete with the Dwarf quality. Nope. *I intend to build one at the exact same internal size as a Pignose with an original speaker to see how that might just compare… but I don’t hold much hope for that either.

The Dwarf amp also pictured (oak / wood stained near-black) with a faceplate of my own making. If everyone knew about the Dwarf amps (made only for two years in direct competition with the Pignose in 1974) there would be a lot more of them in the world. They put the Pignose to shame. (7 Watts!) AND porting the Dwarf out to closed-back extension cab with a 10” or 12” speaker… yields great tones and volume. Alas, the poor Pignose can’t do this anywhere nearly as well (and I have added “speaker out” jacks to several Pignose amps here).

AND if you really want to deep-dive into the early portables, there’s also the (now also very rare) Pygmy amp to consider. Offered as a build-kit from the PAiA company (also initially offered back around 1974) they were $39.95! AND still better than the lowly Pignose 7-100 IMHO.

Best thing about any Pignose?

The “Legendary” marketing.

(Best of luck with your Pig.)

on July 14, 2020

*”Party” was corrected above – probably due to language.

8 hours ago

Hey CongaFish you wouldn’t happen to know how to date these 7-100’s would you?  All of my google searches are coming up pretty inconclusive. It’s got a low 4 digit serial number 3384. I can’t seem to find anything conclusive. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies
  • en Monday’s Thoughts …

• It’s Monday, the weekend is over and I’m glad another day has almost finished. The days now get longer and time flies by so incredibly fast that I feel I am getting old too quick. What have I done with my life the past few years? How does it come that I end up like a wooden shipwreck on the ocean’s bottom? I don’t know. But asking myself this question every morning when I get up from this old uncomfortable mattress. So tired that I wish I could sleep forever and not waking up again. Yes, it feels exactly like this.

Last year I lost simply everything, car, insurances, my small apartment including furniture and all other stuff due of being too kind to somebody who took advantage of me. I am not highly educated nor skilled in professions, that’s why I’ve had worked my entire life so far, since I am 15, as laborer on construction sites. Could not build up savings. Now with 34 years my back, hands and knees are done from this work. Had to move to my mother’s & sister’s apartment for a short time, both had to move to my sister’s father because of his disability he needed help in his everyday life.

So, I was homeless almost three months at the beginning of this year. Slept in basements or abandoned buildings. What a terrible experience this was you can imagine for yourself. Now I have a small room for the nights and have to share the place where I am currently with others. Constantly seeking for small job gigs in this rural area, which is almost impossible because of no industry and demographic issues. Have been searching for help the past few months without any success. The truth is, I could ask all eight billion people on this planet, but no one would give me the needed help to end this nightmare. Which is understandable of course.

What can you do when you need help but there is no one who’s listening, no friends, since they left due of my situation, family has their own issues and cannot be of a help, if there is no solution? You accept this after a time, and just hope that someday in the near future all ends, and then you can sleep for eternity. It shouldn’t sound negative or sad but at this point I am no longer able to look forward. I do not see any future.

My only and probably last solution is moving to the next bigger city. Could work there as car painter and even make some good salary. But I cannot simply move or rent a small apartment, since I have nothing to go there. No savings to pay rental deposit, or to get a few pieces of furniture, to ride out the first few weeks until getting paid. No one will help you when you are in such situation as I am now, but I understand this totally. I have tried long enough to find somebody who is able to lend me a small loan for this move to a better future. It’s not about a handout, because I want to pay it back. It’s also about ending a nightmare and starting a new life, this is what organisations or banks do not understand.

So, I simply accept the fact that my life is done. Let’s be honest.. There is no option, any help or magic force that will grant you a wish. Life or the world in generally is not like this. I am not sad or depressive, because I have accepted my destiny and unfortunately we cannot change our destiny. I will be happy again when all has ended, and I can finally sleep. For eternity.

Load More...
  • en The five principles: Wisdom of the Axial Age

• These five principles form the foundation of just about every major religion and philosophical system which emerged in that incredible span of years from the 8th to the 3rd century BCE called the Axial Age when Taoism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Confucianism, Classic Greek Philosophy, and Christianity all flowered in the same time period. Why? Simple, it is because they are universal and when put into active practice in our daily lives they work.

The practice of these principles will garb you in a suit of spiritual armor. Even in the midst of chaos and in the face of evil your heart will be unsullied, calm and serene.

The five principles: Wisdom of the Axial Age

1. Be compassionate. Compassionate in both thought and deed. Learn to recognize that the actions of others are often caused by spiritual pain. Avoid contempt. Avoid those mental judgments we always make of others. Compassion leads to harmony and harmony and balance is the key to inner peace.

2. Be kind. Very simple. In every interaction, you have you have an opportunity to add to the sum total of good. No act of kindness or charity is too small. It does not matter if you receive gratitude. At times your acts of kindness will even cause resentment in others. That is their way. Let yours be kindness.

3. Be Forgiving: Forgive others and mostly yourself. Forgiveness is not easy. It requires effort to let past harms and slights go. You may be perfectly justified in your anger, sorrow or resentment but it does not matter. Resentments do not harm the object of your resentment. They harm only you. Much of our spiritual disharmony is caused by our own self-contempt. We magnify our failings. We mull over our mistakes and shortcomings again and again. We compare ourselves to an impossible ideal and then hate ourselves when we fail to measure up. Forgive yourself. Let it go. There is so much that is good in you and tomorrow brings a new opportunity to achieve your dreams.

4. Be Loving. When you have been compassionate, kind and forgiving you will sense a flood of a unique form of love. Love of all. It will well up within you and influence your every action. It will baffle and confuse others. People who would confront you, engage you in argument or dispute and who would transmit their own anger to you will be astounded when they see that you are unruffled. They will not know what to do. Your calm and peace will affect them.

5. Be Accepting: You are not in control of the universe. Stop taking everything so personally. It is not all about you. Be humble before the majesty of the universe knowing that it is you and you are it. Things are often not going to go your way. You may be treated unfairly by others, or be the target of hatred or cruelty. You are not going to get everything you want. Accept this. Move on.

#Teachings #Philosophy #Compassion #Religion #History

(Picture: Artist unknown)

Load More...
  • en fender 1952 5B3 tweed deluxe restoration

• it took a while to get the original Astron mimimite capacitors for re-stuff. came to 33uf + 22uf + 22uf and it turned out great with zero hum and Fender tweed deluxe voicing. it’s funny I met this amp a while back. a friend of mine had it. then another friend owns it now

tried P12N and came back to the original smooth cone P12R after fixed the voice coil rub.

it was like this when it came to me. the voltage dropping resistor fell off once I touched the soldering joint with my iron for 0.1 sec. a bit scary I could say.

Load More...
  • ko My Design commission page button design

• Load More...
  • en enjoying 5751 tube on 5D3 v1

• a member here recommended me 5751 for tweed deluxe v1 socket. and I’m impressed with this setup. I grabbed this off ebay for $32 even the kind seller sent me an extra GE 5751.

I’d say it’s way better than stock 12ay7 and 12at7 on v1.

and 5751 on 5F1 reduces the output volume a bit. but still a good sounding tube

Load More...
  • de Heilige Geometrie: Eine Einführung

• Was ist mit “heiliger Geometrie” gemeint? Im einfachsten Sinne ist es die Geometrie, die der gesamten Schöpfung unterliegt. Es gibt viele wiederholende geometrische Formen, die in jeder Existenz vom Atom bis zum Kosmischen sichtbar sind. Sie reichen von einfachen und vertrauten wie Kreisen, Quadraten, Dreiecken, Kugeln, Würfeln bis zu komplexeren Formen wie Sechsecken, Fünfecken, Spiralen, Toroiden, Fraktalen, Helixen bis hin zu vierdimensionalen Formen wie dem Hyperwürfel und der Hypersphäre. Diese Formen bilden alle unsere visuelle Realität und ihre Wiederholung und ihre Kombinationen sprechen von der Natur der Realität und der zugrunde liegenden Symmetrie und Ordnung des Universums, die für das bloße Auge zunächst nicht wahrnehmbar sind. Deshalb wird “heiliger Geometrie” auch oft “die Architektur des Universums” genannt.

Wenn wir erst einmal gelernt haben, diese Formen zu erkennen und ein bisschen über die mathematische Beziehung zwischen ihnen zu verstehen, dämmert uns eine ganz neue Welt. Wir werden diese Muster überall erkennen. Wir werden sie in der Anordnung der Atome in einem Kristall sehen. In den Formen eines Virus und der Zelle. In Blumen, Samen und Blättern. In der Struktur eines Insektenauges. Wir werden sie in der Schaum in unserem Kaffee und in Form geologischer Strukturen auf der Oberfläche der Erde sehen. Wir werden sie in Wolken und Wettermustern erkennen. Wir werden sie in der Struktur von Planeten, ihren Umlaufbahnen in Galaxien und in der vierdimensionalen Form des Universums selbst sehen.

Die Formen sind eine Art Sprache. Sie sprechen von Beziehungen und Mustern, und diese Muster sind unabhängig in der Skala ihrer Bedeutung. Die Spirale in unserer Kaffeetasse hat dieselbe Beziehung wie die Spirale der Galaxie. Man sieht, dass diese Muster keine “Dinge” sind, da wir daran gewöhnt sind, an Dinge zu denken, die in unserem dreidimensionalen Bereich existieren. Ein Baseball ist ein “Ding”, das sich einer Kugel ähneln tut aber es ist keine Kugel. Eine Kugel ist ein Ideal, das unabhängig von der groben Welt unserer Wahrnehmung existiert. Da ein Baseball einer Kugel fast ähnlich sieht, können wir jedoch das Wissen über dieses Ideal einer Kugel verwenden, um vorherzusagen, wie sich ein Baseball im dreidimensionalen Raum und in der vierten Dimension der Zeit verhält. Dies ist die Welt der Ideale und ihre Beziehung zur äußeren Welt der Formen.

“Verstehen heißt Muster wahrnehmen.”

~ Isaiah Berlin

“Die Muster des Mathematikers, wie die des Malers oder des Dichters, müssen schön sein; die Ideen wie die Farben oder die Wörter müssen auf harmonische Weise zusammenpassen. Schönheit ist die erste Prüfung: Es gibt keinen festen Platz auf der Welt für hässliche Mathematik.”

~ G. H. Hardy

(Grafik von Rafael Araujo)

Load More...
  • en Jake’s Design Thread

• Load More...
  • en Yokomo CVD bones

• This post would be a help. but it seems impossible to get them unless you guys push MIP to make them again.

Yokomo YZ10, Works, and 870C universal drives info

it’s the basic info for Yokomo CVD bones
    ’94 YZ10 front CVD bone 84mm
    ’94 YZ10 rear CVD bone 79mm
    MX4 rear CVD bone 79mm

Kysho RB5/RB6 70mm CVD bones work for 870C F/R

MX4 rear bone works with ’94 YZ10 rear. and, Works F/R
    ’94 YZ10 rear bone works with Works F/R. and, for 870C front wide setup
    Bj4 front bone doesn’t work for Yokomo diff cups

’94 YZ10 front

from the top, MX4 Rear / ’94 YZ10 Rear / Jconcpets BJ4 front.

the length are identical to each other. but the head pins are not. I’ve tried more CVD bones from AE and Losi. and all the US brand CVD bones have bigger head pins which don’t fit Yokomo diff cups

While the length is identical, Bj4 CVD bone don’t work for Yokomo diff cups

’94 yz10 cvd bones go deep inside of the diff

MX4 bones have longer head pins. it’s fine except for 870C

870C front wide setup with ’94 YZ10 CVD

Load More...
  • ko Stella doll handmade 2 패브릭 가방

•  

봄이 되면 패브릭을 선택할때도 봄기운이 더해진다.

내추럴하거나 꽃무늬가 아무래도 눈길이 더가고, 손길이 간다.

무엇이든 넣고 떠날 수 있는 사이즈로 만든 패브릭 가방이다.

먹을 것 챙겨넣고 소풍을 떠나도 좋겠고,

노트북을 넣고 일하러 카페로 향해도 무난한 사이즈다.

봄엔 봄가방.

#봄가방#캔버스가방#패브릭가방#가방 핸드메이드

Load More...
  • cs 2019, 제17회 경상북도 영상콘텐츠 시나리오 공모전

•  

□ 주 최 : 경상북도

□ 주 관 : 경북문화콘텐츠진흥원

□ 후 원 : 영화진흥위원회, 한국방송작가협회, 한국애니메이션 제작자협회

공모분야 : 극영화 및 드라마 시나리오, 애니메이션

◦ 경북지역을 공간적 배경으로 하거나 경북지역의 전설, 설화, 인물, 문화, 역사 그리고 자연경관 등을 소재로 한 극영화, 드라마 및 애니메이션으로 제작 가능한 창작 시나리오

◦ 실제 영화 또는 드라마 제작 시 주 촬영지를 경상북도 지역으로 하여 제작이 가능한 작품

◦ 기타 그 외 경상북도를 상징하는 것들을 소재로 한 작품

□ 출품자격 : 학력, 연령, 성별, 지역 제한 없음 [단, 1인 1작품 출품(공동출품 가능)]

※ 공동출품 경우 출품신청서에 대표저작자 명시

□ 추진일정

◦ 접수기간 : 2019. 6. 17(월) ∼ 7. 12(금) 18:00까지(26일간)

※ 접수 기간 내 수시 접수

◦ 제 출 처 : 공모전 홈페이지(www.gculture.or.kr)

◦ 제출방법 : 온라인으로만 접수

◦ 결과발표 : 2019. 9월 중순 (홈페이지 게재 및 개별통보)

◦ 시 상 식 : 2019. 11월 중

※ 작품심사, 시상일정, 시상내역 등은 다소 변경될 수 있음

□ 시상내역(단위 : 원)

구 분

훈 격

편 수

시나리오 창작료

비 고

대 상

경상북도지사

상장

최우수상

상장

우수상

상장, 각 3,000,000

장려상

경상북도문화콘텐츠진흥원장

상장, 각 1,000,000

□ 제출양식 및 작성요령

◦ 제출양식

⑴ 겉표지 1부 (공모분야, 작품제목, 제출일자, 작가명(실명) 표기)

⑵ 공모신청서 1부(공모전 홈페이지 참조)

⑶ 주요 등장인물의 간단한 캐릭터 설명이 포함된 요약문(synopsis) 1부(A4용지 2매 이내)

⑷ 시나리오(작성 권장사항)

1) 극영화 : 100분가량 분량의 작품(70p 내외)

2) 드라마 : 2~3부작 정도의 분량

3) 애니메이션 : 10분 내외, 13부작 분량정도

◦ 작성요령 : A4용지, 상하여백 각 15mm, 좌우여백 각 30mm 글자크기 11pt, 글자체 휴먼명조(제목은 제외), 줄간격 160%

◦ (1)∼(4)을 한 파일로 묶어서 한글파일(hwp)로 제출

※ 작성양식은 공모전 홈페이지(www.gculture.or.kr)에서 다운로드

◦ 작성 프로그램 :‘한글’로 통일

□ 작품심사 배점기준

평가지표

배 점

심사기준

영상콘텐츠화 가능성

∙ 제작 및 투자 가능성

∙ 영상콘텐츠화 설계의 우수성

지역성

∙ 주제의 시의성

∙ 경북 지역의 스토리텔링화

완성도

∙ 작품의 독창성

∙ 작품의 완성도

창의성

∙ 소재의 참신성

∙ 기발하고 독특한 아이디어

□ 출품제한

◦ 소설 및 기타 저작물의 영상화를 위해 타인의 것을 각색한 시나리오

◦ 타 공모전 등에서의 수상경력이 있는 작품

◦ 영화제작사 등에 매도 계약이 되었거나 진행 중인 작품

◦ 타인의 작품을 표절하거나 표절로 인정되는 작품

※ 수상 후에도 위의 사항에 해당할 경우 수상을 취소할 수 있음

□ 기타사항

◦ 출품하는 모든 작품은 어떠한 형태로든 상업화 되지 않아야 함

※ 기존 작품을 단순 각색하거나 개작한 작품은 출품 불가

◦ 출품된 작품은 일체 반환하지 않으며, 수상된 작품의 저작권은 수상자(저작자)가 가지는 것을 원칙으로 한다. 다만, 경상북도문화콘텐츠진흥원은 비영리목적(저작권 및 영상권 포함)으로 활용할 수 있는 사용권을 가짐

※ 수상자는 수상작의 영상제작 계약 시, 주관기관(경북문화콘텐츠진흥원)에 계약 사실을 통지해야 함

또한, 경상북도 영상콘텐츠시나리오 수상작이라는 문구를 아래와 같이 명시해야 함

→ 이 작품은 제00회 경상북도 영상콘텐츠시나리오 수상작을 바탕으로 제작되었습니다. 00상 성명, 제목

◦ 수상작은 타 공모전에 출품 할 수 없음

◦ 타인 명의 출품 불가, 필명이 아닌 본명으로 지원하여야 함

◦ 작품의 접수, 심사 및 시상일정 등은 다소 변경될 수 있음

◦ 주최자는 입상하지 않은 출품작을 공모전 종료일로부터 3개월 이내에 모두 폐기하며 유출방지를 위한 주의를 다함

◦ 공동출품의 경우 대표 저작자가 수상권(상장, 시나리오 창작료 포함)을 가짐

◦ 주최자는 창작료 지급관련으로 수상자의 개인정보(주민등록번호)를 요청할 수 있음

◦ 본 사업의 주관기관 경상북도문화콘텐츠진흥원은 수상작품을 인쇄하여 영화제작사 등 영상제작기관 및 시설에 배부할 수 있음

※ 문의:경상북도문화콘텐츠진흥원 디지털미디어팀(☎054-840-7042)

Load More...