en Fender tweed champ 5F1 1959 pics – inside and outisde

Updated on May 25, 2019 | 118 Views No Category
3 on February 24, 2019

it’s a ’59 fender tweed champ with 8″ stock jensen speaker. I’ve learned more than a few things from this amp. mostly about the tone. and it forces me to play more than before I got this small tweed amp. 

I’m using 5y3 rectifier for the original setup along with 5v4g for more clean headroom. and  watching that huge rectifier from the back side. 5v4g and Bendix 5y3 look beautiful at night.

5F1 breaks up early and it’s the character of this amp. 5v4g makes 5F1 sounds a bit like tweed deluxe. but, it’s still tweed champ of course. and, I recently noticed 5f1 with 5v4g is more vulnerable to 60hz hum. so, I came back to the stock 5y3

• Liked by
  • bananapeel

Be the first to post a comment.

Add a comment

0 on April 1, 2019

I’m adding more pictures while looking at the transformers and the ground wires. have been playing with this champ for the last 9 months. and it keeps leading me into playing with music and electrics at the same time.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on May 25, 2019

replaced the AC cord with 16 gauge Belden E3462-C. E3464 doesn’t work with vintage tube amps due to the aluminum or braided shield. only E3462-C works with my tweed Champ and Deluxe

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on May 25, 2019

even I’m traveling with this Champ

• Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies
  • en the only long plate 12ax7 I like with 5F1, Tung-Sol

• I’ve tried a few long plate 12ax7 tubes like black plate RCA, one of the common Telefunken, gray plate Sylvania with copper grid posts, and this one. Telefunken sounds great with 5D3 but ain’t good with my original and recent 5F1 amps.

this Tung Sol sounds like Telefunken with a modern 5F1 has Heyboer HTS-12005 PT. this PT’s B+ is over 400V with usual 5y3gt tubes. and this 12ax7 sounds great with the original 5F1 to me. grabbed off Reverb.com for $24

Load More...
  • en ’94 YZ10 a bit psychedelic

• my ’94 yz10 runner got a new shell with some decals today.

now it runs with
    HD universal drives
    Yokomo Aluminum motor mount
    Team Suzuki F/R hubs and hub carriers
    ’93 WCS steering

[update from July 2nd, 2015]

found the MX4 wheel hubs for YZ10. and more MX4 wheels for this setup too.

pargu is working on the wheel hubs. you guys can use them pretty soon.

Load More...
  • en tweed princeton 5D2 came back to life

• I came across this tweed princeton a couple of days ago. it had more than few issues with the pots, electrolytic caps, wires, grounding, input jacks and one of the resistors.

and it sounds beautiful like a win instrument with the new components.

Load More...
  • en 1/8″ custom towers for Hot Dog 4

• they are 5mm extended front tower and the rear tower with the original shape. the original towers have extra holes for shock mounting. and they were not strong enough. the new towers are strong enough with this thick g10 epoxy material.

870c shocks are beautiful and they leak. and they are beautiful enough to set on this shelfer.

Load More...
  • en gathering information on vintage tweed champ output transformer

• while I’m working on a tweed champ 5f1 replica with 10″ speaker, I recall they say the output transformers affect the tone.

and, I noticed I never saw the back side of champ chassis before. it’s where I start finding a vintage OT for my project

Load More...
  • en modern 5F1 with Boothill kit and Mergili cabinet

• found this nicely built 5F1 with 10″ WGS speaker in Mergili cabinet on Ebay while I was in search of the parts for my first 5F1 build. grabbed it off for very good price and I’m changing the components and wires one by one like the filter caps, bypass caps, speaker wires along with the plug.

I think the speaker wires and Amperex 12ax7 changed way more than the capacitors. I’m waiting for yellow and red Jupiter 0.022 caps as well. an A/B comparison video on youtube was very interesting. and red one looks very close to the original Astron firecracker.

there are few tweed amp inspired cabinets around. and it’s the first cab I like except for the original ones. this cabinet sings with WGS ceramic speaker. I’ve been biased toward vintage Jensen alnico speakers so far. and this speaker changed it a bit

the orange filter caps are Roederstein 33uf 450v which replaced the stock caps from the kit. I didn’t know the limit of 5y3 and was brave enough to put two of them on it. then realized the rectifier was too hot and went to 33+10+10.

the first 33uf right next to the rectifier seems fine so far. I’ve tried on the original 5D3 and 5F1 without an issue before. this very capacitor is one of the caps I trust most

this 5F1 is dead quiet and the filament wiring is a bit different to the original champ. I’m trying to figuring out it. nothing is easy with the electric stuff even 5F1 is this simple.

I’ve got some NOS Sprague black beauty caps 15 years ago and tried it on this amp. I expected something vintage with them. but I’ve learned they are not useful as the coupling caps. they were good as the guitar tone caps. but they dramatically reduced the output volume regardless of the values. realized why my 18watt replica’s output volume was that low 15 years ago today. I’m still wondering why anyway. 

[update] the sprague caps I put on this amp had twice high capacitance than the marking. I couldn’t find any 0.02 and tried 0.03 but they actually were over 0.05. higher capacitance changes the frequency and reduces the output volume as I learned from them. and NOS caps need time to break in. they sound getting louder for the last few days

Load More...
  • en Lana Del Rey – Young and Beautiful

•  

You will have a grand orchestral experience.

Load More...
  • en I Designed a Presentation

• Load More...
  • en Dear Mr. Fantasy

• Steve Winwood + Eric Clapton

Load More...
  • en another 5F6A build with 15″ alnico speaker

• I somewhat like it

Load More...