en 50’s and 60’s Fender Champ 8″ speakers

Updated on January 28, 2020 | 389 Views all
0 on January 28, 2020

all the 5F1 champ around me have Oxford 8EV speakers and they seemed to have Jensen P8T as well. found one from CTS which sounds like the stock Oxford. they are 4 ohm impedance and DCR is mostly 3.2 ohm

I’m not sure with new and doped speakers but old, broken in and sometimes brittle speakers sound way better with edge doping in every aspect to me. it’s like a having a good preamp tube in vintage tweed amps

it’s an Oxford from ’59 Champ along with one from 62’s. the cone went yellow and I guess it was in a place with carbon monoxide gas around. both has doped in the end

and 60’s Ceramic speaker from Oxford. and another one from CTS. this CTS is not Fender stock but sounds pretty much like the stock speakers.

• Liked by

Be the first to post a comment.

Loading more replies
  • en i just found this wonderful song

• A live and acoustic version of José González – Heartbeats featuring the video of the famous Sony Bravia advertisment

Load More...
  • en JBL D120F from 70’s Fender twin reverb

• Not sure what I’m going to do with this speaker while I don’t have any SF or BF fender. I remember my friends older than me loved it when I was a kid. even I still remember how the sound was. I saw the same speaker with gray and orange frames. this D120F came from 70’s silver face twin reverb and it’s orange. and it still has the original cone

Load More...
  • en NPN Germanium transistor list for Fuzz pedals

• My interest in fuzz pedal came from JMI Tone Bender III reissue which belongs to a friend. this pedal has 3 of OC75 glass tube transistors.

And, unfortunately, My Sola Sound Bum Fuzz came with 3 of NPN transistors while OC75 is PNP type. then found this web page with germanium and silicone transistor lists

http://vintageradio.me.uk/info/radiocon_data_trans.htm

There are 26 of germanium NPN transistors from the data sheets

ASY28, ASY29

2N388, 2N388A

2N1302, 2N1304, 2N1306, 2N1308,

OC139, OC140, OC141

AD161

AC187

NKT713, NKT773, NKT774, NKT781

2SD72

Black glass tube NPN transistors are OC139, OC140, OC141 from them.

OC75 is like this according to this web page on alltransistors.com

Type Designator: OC75 (PNP)

Maximum Collector Power Dissipation (Pc): 0.125 W

Maximum Collector-Base Voltage |Vcb|: 20 V

Maximum Collector-Emitter Voltage |Vce|: 20 V

Maximum Emitter-Base Voltage |Veb|: 10 V

Maximum Collector Current |Ic max|: 0.01 A

Transition Frequency (ft): 0.1 MHz

Collector Capacitance (Cc): 50 pF

Forward Current Transfer Ratio (hFE), MIN: 55

And, for OC139, OC140 is

Vcb: 20 V / 20 V

Vce: 20 V / 20V

Forward Current Transfer Ratio (hFE), MIN: 40 / 75

I’m going to try OC139. simply beccause, OC139 is cheaper than OC140 on ebay. and I’m wondering how Transition Frequency differences work with Fuzz. I’ll update in a few weeks

Load More...
  • en Belden E3462-C cord makes my tweed amps dead quiet

• needed a longer AC cord for my 5D3 and tried E3462-C cord. this cord noticeably reduces noise even while it has more amps and computers share the same AC and audio source.

then I replaced all the AC cord with this for my tweed amps. the most dramatic change comes to ’59 5F1 which was quiet alone but it cannot be hooked up with AB box. even 60hz hum was loud when it shared the same AC power source without AB box. ground lift didn’t work either. it just shifted the noise frequency

this seller has the cable. but, only one of three was correct. two of them were E3462 without C. they are metal shielded and the noise was louder than 2 prong cord.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-CPU-Power-Cord-Cable-SVT-E-3462-C-LL-30830/253801406241

found another seller had the correct cable. and finally all of my tweed amps are dead quiet at any circumstance with E3462-C. even there is no difference between the original and modern 5F1 with or without the center tab.

and this typical ac cord wasn’t that bad for 5D3 but there is a huge difference with 5F1. E3462-C is still way better for 5D3 as well.

Load More...
  • en Awsome STRANGER THINGS projection on house

• visit our website: https://www.digitalpressworks.com We added this to our projection mapping show for Halloween! A view from the sidewalk in front of our house

Load More...
  • en inside of Wem Pepbox rush from British Pedal Company

• I see two of ACY41 germanium transistors on the board.

Grabbed this off ebay for a great price. two hundred something in USD. it sounds great and quite different than my Bum fuzz and old Sola Sound fuzz pedal a friend has.

but, it has an issue. it rattles on high level. I’m sending back this back to British Pedal Company. 

Load More...
  • en Is cloud gaming the future of online video games?

• French start-up Blade thinks it has what it takes to succeed in the space. Its cloud gaming service, Shadow, aims to bring the experience of playing a powerful gaming PC to any device, be it a laptop, tablet, phone, or smart TV. Blade’s goal for “Shadow” is substantially more ambitious than any of its peers. Rather than creating a service that delivers content, it wants to replace your console or gaming PC entirely. Booting up Shadow serves you a virtual Windows machine, which you can use to play your games on Steam, Origin, Humble, and Itch.io. The games purchased by yours, and yours to keep, from the standard storefronts. Your Shadow machine is just like any computer you’d own, except you can access it on any device for which Blade has created a client, including Macs, PCs, iOS, and Android devices. Shadow also works directly on Sony smart TVs through an Android client, and a client for Tizen-based Samsung smart TVs is on the way.

The goal of all this is bold, yet simple. Blade wants to make the home PC obsolete. You can find more informations on their website:

Load More...
  • en Pickguard on Joe Bonamassa signature Burst

• I believe Gibson and Wildwood put the same black plastic parts from his Custom Shop Goldtop Les Paul. while the plastic parts made after his original. the pickguard is different to all the Gibson’s like pre 2009 historic, post 2009 historic, and Gibson US version.

and, finally found the right one from Creamtone. they sent me their Absolute Vintage pickguard template. and every single detail is same except for the gap they made after the original 50’s pickguard.

I’ll update after we try this from Creamtone later

Load More...
  • en an useful miniature tube puller from an ebay tube seller

• purchased  Adzam branded Heerlen 12ax7 and Brussels 6v6gt from from this ebay seller. they were NOS and the pricing was very good indeed.

https://www.ebay.com/str/euro-moments?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

he sent me this tube puller. this silicon tool designed to grab the preamp tubes and the the tubes like EL84. you still need to hold the tube using this puller. and it feels easy may protect the letters on the tube

Load More...
  • en Blackface Champ AA764 pics

• BF champ AA764

the voicing of stock 8″ speaker is quite different to 50’s Oxford 8EV. I guess this stock speaker came from Oxford as well but I could be wrong.

I replaced the stock 25uf 25v power tube cathode bypass cap to 47uf.

it came with stock Amperex buggle boy which is still alive and kicking and GE 6v6gt. only the rectifier tube has replaced at some point.

stock speaker is on the right side.

Load More...