en 50’s and 60’s Fender Champ 8″ speakers

Updated on January 28, 2020 | 95 Views all
0 on January 28, 2020

all the 5F1 champ around me have Oxford 8EV speakers and they seemed to have Jensen P8T as well. found one from CTS which sounds like the stock Oxford. they are 4 ohm impedance and DCR is mostly 3.2 ohm

I’m not sure with new and doped speakers but old, broken in and sometimes brittle speakers sound way better with edge doping in every aspect to me. it’s like a having a good preamp tube in vintage tweed amps

it’s an Oxford from ’59 Champ along with one from 62’s. the cone went yellow and I guess it was in a place with carbon monoxide gas around. both has doped in the end

and 60’s Ceramic speaker from Oxford. and another one from CTS. this CTS is not Fender stock but sounds pretty much like the stock speakers.

• Liked by

Be the first to post a comment.

Loading more replies
  • en Sola Sound Bum fuzz with NPN OC139 Germanium transistors works great

• I just tried this from a hunch while I barely understand electric circuits.

Bum fuzz was made after B&M fuzz. it came from Tonebender Jumbo, and Jumbo came from Big muff. and they are not far from Tonebender MK3. it means this pedal would work with Germanium transistors.

Sola Sound make 3 different versions of Bum Fuzz units with BC184, BC549C, and ZTX109. BC184  and ZTX109 versions look same to each other except ZTX109 version comes with better and older electric components. BC549C comes with cheap ass version. and, it has 3 of different resistors and 2 of electrolytic capacitors at least. I replaced them with 33k, 100, and 100k resistors an 2 of 0.1uf fixed caps.

OC139, OC140, OC141 are NPN germanium transistors for computers (yes, the computer) from late 60’s. They are period correct for late 60’s and early 70’s fuzz I guess. and, have the similar Hfe range as well. most of them I found on ebay.co.uk had 100 to 200 Hfe range. some are less than 100, and some of them are over 200.

It’s the shop I found ZTX109 and OC139 transistors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/J-H-Components-Limited/Transistors-Vintage-Germanium/_i.html?_storecat=14509182015

And, this pedal sounds great with OC139. I don’t see any reason to try a different setup anymore. this modified Germanium Bum fuzz unit has overdrive to medium or leather high gain fuzz range now. somewhat sounds like MK2 and feels like MK3.

It was like this a couple of months ago

Came across this big red bum fuzz here on reverb.com https://reverb.com/item/17423735-sola-sound-cheap-ass-bum-fuzz-jumbo-tone-bender-direct-from-sola-sound-london Sola Sound / Macaris sells a few different versions with different components along with the pricing. this one is a literally cheap, actually the cheapest version of them. they had/have more coming as well. http://www.macaris.co.uk/colorsound They have 3 different versions by the price. £399.00, …
    Load More...
  • en Yokomo 870C build from the parts

•  

front wide setup with Works CVD, SRS steering knuckle.

#yokomo #yz10 #cvd #870c

Load More...
  • en I Designed a Presentation

• Load More...
  • en how vacuum tube works

• Load More...
  • en NPN Germanium transistor list for Fuzz pedals

• My interest in fuzz pedal came from JMI Tone Bender III reissue which belongs to a friend. this pedal has 3 of OC75 glass tube transistors.

And, unfortunately, My Sola Sound Bum Fuzz came with 3 of NPN transistors while OC75 is PNP type. then found this web page with germanium and silicone transistor lists

http://vintageradio.me.uk/info/radiocon_data_trans.htm

There are 26 of germanium NPN transistors from the data sheets

ASY28, ASY29

2N388, 2N388A

2N1302, 2N1304, 2N1306, 2N1308,

OC139, OC140, OC141

AD161

AC187

NKT713, NKT773, NKT774, NKT781

2SD72

Black glass tube NPN transistors are OC139, OC140, OC141 from them.

OC75 is like this according to this web page on alltransistors.com

Type Designator: OC75 (PNP)

Maximum Collector Power Dissipation (Pc): 0.125 W

Maximum Collector-Base Voltage |Vcb|: 20 V

Maximum Collector-Emitter Voltage |Vce|: 20 V

Maximum Emitter-Base Voltage |Veb|: 10 V

Maximum Collector Current |Ic max|: 0.01 A

Transition Frequency (ft): 0.1 MHz

Collector Capacitance (Cc): 50 pF

Forward Current Transfer Ratio (hFE), MIN: 55

And, for OC139, OC140 is

Vcb: 20 V / 20 V

Vce: 20 V / 20V

Forward Current Transfer Ratio (hFE), MIN: 40 / 75

I’m going to try OC139. simply beccause, OC139 is cheaper than OC140 on ebay. and I’m wondering how Transition Frequency differences work with Fuzz. I’ll update in a few weeks

Load More...
  • en ’94 YZ10 a bit psychedelic

• my ’94 yz10 runner got a new shell with some decals today.

now it runs with
    HD universal drives
    Yokomo Aluminum motor mount
    Team Suzuki F/R hubs and hub carriers
    ’93 WCS steering

[update from July 2nd, 2015]

found the MX4 wheel hubs for YZ10. and more MX4 wheels for this setup too.

pargu is working on the wheel hubs. you guys can use them pretty soon.

Load More...
  • en gibson les paul junior DC ’83

• i’ve got this les paul tv yellow a couple of weeks ago.

it has very nice tone saturation and the ranges of volume control.

very simple control with playability, of course the design is simple too.

i checked the serial number as I learned through the wikipedia. it has made at ’83 when gibson company shifted kalamazoo to nashville before they established historic / customshop line.

replaced the stock ceramic cap with sprague black beauty capacitor right after I got this beauty. and this les paul sounds way better than before with the sustain.

lucky strike it is.

Load More...
  • en Jaguar XJ220 l My dream car

• Racecar-driver Justin Law dives into detail the very rare XJ220 supercar project and it’s storied history, passing hands from Tom Walkinshaw Racing (TWR) and…

Load More...
  • en 50’s Jensen P12R and P12N output power – from tdpri.com

• found this nice and old datasheet probably was a part of the Jensen brochure. and it’s great to see the exact output of the 50’s Jensen speakers. P12R was the stock speaker for tweed deluxe. and now I can see why it came with tweed deluxe. btw, P12R and P12Q share the same bell cover. and you cannot install P12N and P12P with the bell in tweed deluxe because of the size.

P12R = 12watt

P12N = 18watt

and, this thread in the same forum says

P12Q = 14watt

P12P = 16watt

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/old-alnico-jensen-do-i-have-a-p12p-or-a-p12r.201934/

Load More...
  • en fender factory tour 1959

•  

Load More...